Job Summary:This position works as part of the Exhibitions & Learning Engagement team to facilitate and improve informal inquiry-based programs for learners of all ages, primarily presented in the Science Pyramid venue or via mobile learning stations. Through conversation supported by visual aids or educational props, Learning & Interpretation Assistants engage visitors in basic scientific content to foster curiosity about the natural world, an appreciation of plants, and an understanding of cause and effect in the environment. Other subject matters are explored at times throughout the gardens, including art, culture, and history. This position also monitors the functionality and cleanliness of assigned work area including, but not limited to, the Science Pyramid facility. Schedule is variable; weekends and/or some evenings required. Typical shifts are four hours in length.
Career Type: Part Time - 20-24 hours per week
Qualifications/ Experience: Six months to one year of experience in education, natural sciences, museum studies, or similar, and minimum of two years’ school experience from a college or university; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Sincere interest in the environment, plants and their conservation and sharing that passion with others. Friendly demeanor and ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally with an audience made up of diverse cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds. Ability to engage people in conversations about science topics. Ability to work reliably both independently and with a team essential. Experience working with and/or managing volunteers helpful. Spanish language desired. Flexibility necessary; availability on weekends and/or some evenings.
Essential Job Duties:
- Engage public in friendly conversation about basic scientific content or other determined subject area
- Retrieve and put away related learning materials; organize and inventory supplies
- Prepare materials related to Science Chats and other interpretive programs
- Monitor Science Pyramid interactives and functionality; assist public and troubleshoot; communicate with IT, security or visitor services as needed
- Utilize microscopes and cameras to aid in conversation
- Offer a welcoming and inspiring demeanor
- Place appropriate temporary signage
- Work and train volunteers of varying ages as assigned
Other Job Duties:
- Assist with the functioning of the Science Pyramid as a public, educational space
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and organization of work area and of interactives
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors
- Perform other duties as requested by management
Benefits: include vision insurance, a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.
To Apply Click Here