JOB TITLE: Web Editor / Editor
LOCATION: Denver, CO
SALARY: $5,500+/month depending on experience
The National Conference of State Legislatures is a nonpartisan organization that serves the legislators and legislative staff of the nation's 50 states, its commonwealths and territories. NCSL provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. Our mission is to serve state legislatures by providing support, promoting fresh ideas, connecting legislators and staff with experts and each other, and provide a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system.
Since its founding in 1975, NCSL's staff has grown from 15 employees to over 150 employees in its offices in Denver, CO and Washington, D.C. Our growth has been due to the increasing activity and responsibility of the nation's state legislatures and the complexity and diversity of issues that legislators face. Employees work in a challenging, often fast-paced environment where they assist legislators and legislative staff in their work to promote the common good of the citizens of the states. We look forward to your contributions to our mission in the Communications program.
NCSL is seeking a web editor to edit, plan and write web content in a creative way on the NCSL website. The successful candidate should be a skilled writer with an eye for detail and an understanding of the special requirements of web writing. The web editor monitors, edits and coordinates editorial content for the NCSL website. This individual will edit a wide range of documents and may assist in the editing of print publications. This individual works with a variety of NCSL staff to maintain web portal pages.
This position involves professional editorial work. An editor must possess a mastery of English language usage and the AP Stylebook and an ability to analyze critically the logic and presentation of written material on complex subjects. The editor has primary responsibility for and works independently on a variety of webpages and possibly other publications.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, absent an undue hardship.
1. Create, produce and manage high-quality content
2. Edit, proofread and suggest improvements to written content
3. Work in a multidisciplinary team of communications professional including web/graphic designers, marketing professionals and research staff
4. Knowledge of SEO best practices
5. Reviews the organization’s website postings to adhere to best practices.
6. Develops strategies to ensure widespread visibility of NCSL products on outside search engines
7. Ensures that NCSL news, events and meetings are coordinated among departments and pages.
8. Ensure all web content is up-to-date
9. Comply with copyright and privacy regulations
10. Monitor website’s traffic to measure popularity
11. Keep track of developments in web technology
12. Works closely with director of content to develop and implement a wide range of digital strategies to meet the organization's short-and long-term objectives
This position currently has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, copy machines, scanners and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, lift small objects up to 30 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend, stoop, or stand on a stool as necessary. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally, including overnight and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience and Education (SAME AS CLASS DESCRIPTION)
· Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years’ experience and demonstrated knowledge in editing, web editing and computer skills, including basic knowledge of web-based software, graphic design and coding.
· 2 years of experience in web content management.
· Effective communication skills and strong attention to details and accuracy.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work among programs and with others of different skill levels.
· Strong service and support orientation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (EXAMPLES)
· Technical knowledge of HTML and web publishing
· In-depth knowledge of SEO and web traffic metrics
· Proven work experience as a web editor with a demonstrable portfolio of published work
· Hands on experience with MS Office, InDesign, Photoshop or other publishing tools
· Experience with content management systems
· Excellent writing skills in English
· Attention to detail
· Creative mind
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid leave, in-office dry cleaning pick up, pet insurance, access to 24-hour fitness memberships, discounted bus / train passes, and more!
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications to: https://ncsl.applicantpro.com/jobs no later than Monday, July 2, 2018.
NCSL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.